Wednesday, August 8, 2012
First Read Aloud
During open house I met many new 5th graders who told me their favorite book was The Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Since I really want kids to connect with books and love reading, I decided to introduce them to a similar book by James Patterson called Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life. The main character is really having a hard time fitting into middle school. We are not going to read the entire book-just previewing it this week to spark discussion and interest. I think the students are really enjoying it-we are reading it via Kindle on our Promethean Board-how cool is that-the kids love getting to see the pictures on the big screen! We are working on the Comprehension strategies of Making Pictures in our Minds and Making Connections as well as Vocabulary strategies. We learned how to use context clues to understand meaning (ask your student about the words execution and rents)The first 20 chapters are available on Kindle as a free download preview if you are interested.
Happy Reading
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment